Since there hasn't been any action here, I think we'll continue the theme of vegetarian diets through the next week. Maybe we'll pick up a few new members and things will get hopping.
Remember, what we're looking for are:
1. Your favorite vegetarian recipes, especially ones that "remake" a popular or common meat-filled food in without using meat. Some examples might be a chickenless tortilla soup, a meatless stir-fry, a replacement for burgers, meatloaf, or meatballs, etc.
2. Your favorite places to shop for vegetarian alternative foods. Places that spring to my mind are Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, places like that, that usually offer meat-free alternatives to foods like sausage, bacon, burgers, and hot dogs. But you know of a place in your area that isn't one of the major chains, let us know. Other people in your area might be interested! (Remember to say where you live.)
3. Your favorite places to eat out. Maybe you know of a major chain restaurant that offers good vegetarian alternatives. For example, Ruby's Diner, largely a west coast chain (although I know of two branches in the Philadelphia area), offers all of their burgers with a Gardenburger instead of beef if requested. Or maybe you know of a specifically vegetarian restaurant that you can recommend.
4. Tips for eating out with friends who want to have barbecue or something, where you feel less likely to find vegetarian options. Where are some places you can go? What are some things you can order so that you get to have a full meal too?
5. And, finally, any "secrets" you know about popular foods. For example, maybe you just found out that the veggie lo mein at your favorite Chinese restaurant is made with a sauce containing chicken stock. Let us know so that it can be avoided.
Remember, we are defining vegetarians as those who do not eat the flesh of an animal but do eat the products. A vegetarian eats vegetables, dairy products, and eggs, but not meat, poultry, or fish.